1739 The French build a stone windmill near the lake to supply flour to the soldiers at Fort St. Frederic.
1749 Swedish naturalist, Peter Kalm, notes iron bearing sand along the shore of Lake Champlain during a visit to Fort St. Frederic.
1766 Philip Skene's slaves begin digging iron ore from exposed beds north of present-day Port Henry for shipment south to his forge at Skenesborough, now Whitehall.
1800 Richard Eggleston builds the Elizabeth at his shipyard in Essex.
1801 Levi Higby and George Throop establish a foundry at Willsboro Falls to produce ship anchors.
1808 John Arthur erects a woolen factory in Ticonderoga.
1810 William Meade, a chemist and a mineral collector, makes note of wollastonite deposits in Willsboro.
1819 A law is passed allowing the extension of booms into the Schroon River for the purpose of securing lumber.
1822 James Dalliba and John Dickerson build a blast furnace in Moriah.
1822 The state offers free land to individuals who will establish a grist mill or saw mill in portions of north eastern Essex and adjoining counties.
1831 Allen Penfield installs a battery powered magnet to recharge the magnets of his company's ore separator in Ironville.
1833 Guy C. Baldwin patents a process for making pencils from graphite.
1837 James and John Rogers purchase the property of the Sable Iron Company.
1847 Levi Olmstead buys land to establish a tannery in the hamlet that now bears his last name.
1855 The Adirondack Iron & Steel Company ceases operations at Tahawus.
1856 Daniel Dodge invents an automatic horse nail machine in Keeseville.
1863 The American Graphite Company is incorporated in Ticonderoga.
1865 The Fletcherville furnace in the town of Westport is the largest charcoal blast furnace in the United States.
1869 The Hoffman Tannery in the town of Schroon Lake consumes 3,000 cords of hemlock bark yearly.
1869 S.W. Clark & Company's quarry on Ligonier Point employs nearly 300 laborers in supplying foundation stones for New York's state capitol building. Stone from the quarry will also be used in the piers of the Brooklyn Bridge.
1873 The Crown Point Iron Company completes a narrow gauge rail line connecting its mining operations to Lake Champlain.
1876 The Crown Point Iron Company's store in the three year old hamlet of Hammondville keeps five clerks busy with sales averaging $3,000 per day.
1877 Clayton H. Delano organizes the Ticonderoga Pulp Company to produce ground wood pulp for the manufacture of paper.
1880 Essex County mines rank second in iron output for the entire country.
1882 Col. Augustus Paine's Champlain Fibre Company's soda pulp plant begins operations on Lake Champlain near Willsboro.
1884 Edward L. Trudeau establishes his sanitarium for the treatment of tuberculosis patients in St. Armand.
1891 The crosscut saw is introduced to the Adirondacks.
1893 The J. and J. Rogers Company reorganizes, shifting all production from iron to pulp products.
1907 The Witherbee, Sherman Corporation owns about 23,000 acres of land and mineral rights in Mineville, Witherbee, Elizabethtown and Keene.
1945 The Titanium Alloy Manufacturing Corporation begins mining wollastonite ore in Willsboro to provide material for insulators to be used in producing power for uranium processing at Oak Ridge, Tennessee, for the Manhattan Project.
1947 Northern Minerals is incorporated to develop wollastonite deposits in Willsboro.
1950 Log driving ends on the Hudson River.
1968 International Paper Company begins construction of a new mill along Lake Champlain north of Ticonderoga to replace its facilities in the village.
1971 The Republic Steel Corporation ceases mining and processing operations in Moriah.
1982 NL Industries (formally National Lead) ceases operations at Tahawus.